Cygnus 6+ PRO
Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Key features of the Cygnus 6+ PRO ultrasonic thickness tester include:
- Multiple-Echo for accurate through-coat measurements, as specified by Classification Societies
- Echo-Echo and Single-Echo modes for heavily corroded metals with a thin or no coating
- Temperature Compensation feature for measurement on hot materials
- Deep Coat function ignores coatings up to 20 mm thick
- MSI™ helps verify stable and reliable measurements
- Manual and automatic gain control
- Min/max measurement limit functions with visual and vibrate alert
- Uses single and twin crystal probes
- Freeze function
- One and two point calibration
- Bluetooth™ for data transfer
- Large front LCD display and end-mounted rotatable
- LCD display with grayscale setting for bright sunlight
- Safe operation in explosive atmospheres: Class 1, Division 2, Group D locations only, as defined in NFPA 70, Article 500
- Water and dust tight IP67 housing
- Shock and impact proof to US MIL STD 810G.
High Temperature Measurement
- Using the NEW High Temperature Probe, measurements can be taken on hot surfaces of up to 300°C
- No cooling period required, reducing inspection time and facilitating more effective measurement
- Option to use standard cable or more robust, braided cable.
Comprehensive Data Logging
- Linear, 2D grid and template based logging
- 16 grid patterns available
- Add radial points to any measurement to further investigate immediately an area of interest or heavy corrosion
- Eight user-defined text comments to attach to any measurement point
- Auto-log feature
- Saves measurements and A-scans
- Records stored on an SD card
- CygLink software used to transfer and manage data.
Three Versatile Measuring Modes
- Multiple-Echo mode uses three error checked back wall echoes to provide the most reliable and accurate remaining thickness measurements, with no need to remove coatings (up to 20 mm thick)
- Single-Echo mode is ideal for measuring uncoated metals with heavy front and/or back-wall corrosion. Also effective on a range of cast metals, plastics and composites
- Echo-Echo mode works best for measuring heavily corroded metals through thin coatings of up to 1 mm thick, ideal for measuring painted metals with heavy back wall corrosion.
CygLink is a Windows® based application used to transfer and manage data logger records, A-scans, measurement comments and material velocity tables. The program can generate PDF reports and export to Excel. It also displays A‑scans, allowing for after-the-event analysis of logged measurements.
MSI™ (Measurement Stability Indicator)
Exclusive to Cygnus, MSI™ ensures stable and therefore, reliable measurements are displayed in Echo‑Echo and Single-Echo modes.
Multiple-Echo Mode Ignoring Coatings up to 20 mm Thick
Measuring Heavily Corroded Metals
Echo-Echo Mode Ignoring Coatings up to 1 mm Thick
Impact Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Water Resistance Dunk Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Water Resistance Hose Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Cygnus 6+ PRO Ultrasonic Thickness Tester Featuring Dual Display
Large Bright LCD Display on Cygnus 4, 4+ and 6+ Ultrasonic Thickness Testers
Large LCD Display and Simple Menu Operation on Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Testers
Measuring Uncoated Small Diameter Pipes
Measuring Small Diameter Pipes Through Coatings
A-Scan on Corrosion
|Measuring Modes||Multiple-Echo using 3 echoes to ignore coatings up to 20 mm thick
Echo-Echo using 2 echoes to ignore coatings up to 1 mm thick
Single-Echo using 1 echo
|Materials||Velocities from 1,000 – 9,000 m/s|
|Accuracy||±0.05 mm in Multiple-Echo measurement mode, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
±0.1 mm or 0.1% of thickness measurement whichever is the greatest – in Single-Echo & Echo-Echo measurement modes, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
|Resolution||Multiple-Echo mode – 0.1 mm or 0.05 mm
Single-Echo and Echo-Echo modes – 0.1 mm or 0.01 mm
|Probe options||Single Crystal Probes
Twin Crystal Probes
High Temperature Probe
|Measurement Range in Steel||0.8 – 250 mm depending on selected probe and configuration, material and temperature|
|Connector||2 x Lemo 00|
|Power||3 x AA / R6 batteries|
|Battery Life||Approx. 10 hours continuous measurement|
|Electronics||Dual channel pulser|
|Display||Front LCD 2.4 inch QVGA: 47 x 37 mm
End-mounted LCD: 25.58 x 6.38 mm
|Size||84 x 130 x 35 mm|
|Weight||300 g (inc. Batteries)|
|Operating Temp.||-10°C to 50°C|
|Data Logging||5,000 measurements and A-scans per record
Max number records: 100 (soft limit)
|Computer Software||CygLink allows remote logging and viewing of A-scan graphs
Survey and report generation to PDF file
Graphic analysis of data and statistical calculations
Safe operation in Explosive Atmospheres: Class I, Division 2, Group D Locations only, as defined in the National Fire Protection Association Code (NFPA 70), Article 500. Tested using MIL-STD-810G, Method 511.5, Procedure I
MIL STD 810G Method 501.6 (high temp +55°C (131°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 502.6 (low temp -20°C (-4°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 507.6 (humidity 95%)
MIL STD 810G Method 512.6 (immersion 1 metre for 30 mins)
|Shock and Impact||MIL STD 810G Method 514.7 (vibration)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (shock 20g)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (transit drop 1.22 m)
|Standards||Designed for EN 15317|
|Compliance||CE, UKCA, RoHS|
|Warranty||3 years on tester
6 months on probe
Basic kit for the Cygnus 6+ PRO ultrasonic thickness tester includes:
Instrument body fitted with a hand strap, operating manual, neck strap, accessory pouch that contains 3 x AA batteries and blue couplant gel, USB memory stick with CygLink installer and USB lead
Single element probe kit for the Cygnus 6+ PRO ultrasonic thickness tester includes items listed in basic kit, plus:
Ultrasonic probe, moulded probe cable, 15 mm steel test block, spare membranes, membrane key and membrane couplant.
Twin element probe kit for the Cygnus 6+ PRO ultrasonic thickness tester includes items listed in basic kit, plus:
Ultrasonic probe and moulded probe cable.
Cygnus 6+ PRO Standard Kit WITHOUT PROBE (050-6500/5), Cygnus 6+ PRO High Temperture Kit with Probe T5B-MAUH 5MHz Twin Element & Twin Lemo 00 to Microdot Lead (050-6502/5)
To compliment Cygnus’ range of ultrasonic thickness testers we offer a range of portable UTM probes. The performance of any ultrasonic thickness tester relies heavily on the probe and its suitability to the material being tested. Therefore, selecting the right probe is vital.
All Cygnus’ portable UTM probes are made from stainless steel and have a hard wear face or a wear membrane to protect the probe.
Variety of Cygnus INOX Probes
- Stainless steel Single Crystal probes: Used in multiple-echo mode, include replaceable membranes for long life, require no zeroing and have a high linear accuracy.
- Stainless steel Twin Crystal probes: Used in echo-echo and single-echo modes, have improved measurability on extreme back wall corrosion and pitting.
- Probes for use with the Cygnus 2+, 4, 4+ and 6+ testers are fitted with a BNC or Lemo 00 connector.
Single Crystal Probes
Twin Crystal Probes
High Temperature Probe
Twin element ultrasonic probe designed for high-temperature, in-service thickness measurements and corrosion surveys across oil and gas, refining, energy and process sectors.
- No cooling period required – reducing inspection time and facilitating effective measurement
- For use on hot surfaces up to 300°C
- Measures remaining wall thickness from 1.5 to 250 mm, depending on temperature and material.
Cygnus Surface Gauge Family Brochure
Cygnus Surface Range Comparison Guide
Cygnus 6+ PRO – Consumables Reorder Form
Simple Menu Operation
How to Add Data Logging Comments
How to Set Limit Alerts
How to Review and Save B-Scans
5 reviews for Cygnus 6+ PRO
Jul 18, 2016 11:05 AM
I would like to express our appreciation regarding Cygnus’ support during a recent umbilical manufacturing verification project. Your customer service was exemplary and we are impressed by the legibility of the readout on the Mk5 gauge. On appraising Cygnus of the background to our requirement, the equipment was despatched and received the next day. Its ease of use means that we will certainly call upon you for any further such requirements. Thanks for your assistance.
Mar 27, 2017 11:04 AM
Getting to grips with it, it’s had a little use I think it’s showing about 20hrs on the opening screen. I like the new style and display also like the wrist mount. Not used the data logging yet but I am sure I will. A pleasure to do business with you and I am sure I will be back again in the future.
Apr 24, 2017 11:07 AM
first time I believed is going to perform well
Oct 01, 2019 11:03 AM
We have purchase 4 pcs. of Cygnus 4+ UTG Kit and 1 pcs. of Cygnus 6+ UTG Kit. With these instruments we have check more that 3.000.000 points on coated steel pipe. Results were among expected. We are more than satisfied with equipment.
May 06, 2020 11:06 AM
We tried the gauge on steel components of civil structures and it gives really accurate readings.