Cygnus 2+ Hands Free
Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Key features of the Cygnus 2+ Hands Free ultrasonic thickness tester include:
- Multiple-Echo for accurate through-coat measurements, as specified by Classification Societies
- Echo-Echo and Single-Echo for heavily corroded metals with a thin or no coating
- Hands free operation – wrist, waist belt and harness mountable
- End-mounted display for thickness measurements, making it ideal for rope access and climbing applications
- Front display enabling easy set-up of ultrasonic thickness tester
- Deep Coat mode that ignores coatings up to 20 mm thick
- MSI™ helps verify stable and reliable measurements
- Intuitive easy to use menu
- Extremely rugged enclosure – shock and impact proof to US MIL STD 810G
- Environmental sealing (water and dust proof) to IP67 – US MIL STD 810G.
- Uses single and twin crystal probes
- One and two point calibration
- Can be upgraded to 4+ or 6+ at an additional cost.
Three Versatile Measuring Modes
- Multiple-Echo: Uses three error checked back wall echoes to provide the most reliable and accurate remaining thickness measurements, with no need to remove coatings (up to 20 mm thick).
- Single-Echo: Ideal for measuring uncoated metals with heavy front and/or back-wall corrosion. Also effective on a range of cast metals, plastics and composites.
- Echo-Echo: Works best for measuring heavily corroded metals through thin coatings of up to 1 mm thick, making it ideal for measuring painted metals with heavy back wall corrosion.
MSI™ (Measurement Stability Indicator)
Exclusive to Cygnus, MSI™ ensures stable and therefore, reliable measurements are displayed in Echo‑Echo and Single-Echo modes.
Multiple-Echo Mode Ignoring Coatings up to 20 mm Thick
Measuring Heavily Corroded Metals
Echo-Echo Mode Ignoring Coatings up to 1 mm Thick
Impact Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Water Resistance Dunk Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Water Resistance Hose Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Measuring Uncoated Small Diameter Pipes
Measuring Small Diameter Pipes Through Coatings
|Measuring Modes||Multiple-Echo using 3 echoes to ignore coatings up to 20 mm thick
Echo-Echo using 2 echoes to ignore coatings up to 1 mm thick
Single-Echo using 1 echo
|Materials||Velocities from 1,000 – 9,000 m/s|
|Accuracy||±0.05 mm in Multiple-Echo measurement mode, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
±0.1 mm or 0.1% of thickness measurement whichever is the greatest – in Single-Echo and Echo-Echo measurement modes, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
|Resolution||Multiple-Echo mode – 0.1 mm or 0.05 mm
Single-Echo and Echo-Echo modes – 0.01 mm or 0.01 mm
|Probe Options||Single crystal probes and Twin crystal probes|
|Measurement Range in Steel||0.8 – 250 mm depending on selected probe and configuration, material and temperature|
|Connector||2 x Lemo 00|
|Power||3 x AA / R6 batteries|
|Battery Life||Approx. 10 hours continuous measurement|
|Electronics||Dual channel pulser|
|Display||End-mounted rotatable LCD: 25.58 x 6.38 mm (for measurements)
2.4” QVGA LCD: 47 x 37 mm (for tester setup only)
|Size||84 x 130 x 35 mm|
|Weight||300 g (inc. batteries)|
|Operating Temp.||-10°C to 50°C|
MIL STD 810G Method 501.6 (high temp +55°C (131°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 502.6 (low temp -20°C (-4°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 507.6 (humidity 95%)
MIL STD 810G Method 512.6 (immersion 1 metre for 30 mins)
|Shock and Impact||MIL STD 810G Method 514.7 (vibration)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (shock 20g)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (transit drop 1.22 m)
|Standards||Designed for EN 15317|
|Compliance||CE, UKCA, RoHS|
|Warranty||3 years on tester
6 months on probe
Basic kit for the Cygnus 2+ Hands Free ultrasonic thickness tester includes:
Instrument body, operating manual, neck strap and accessory pouch that contains 3 x AA batteries and blue couplant gel.
Single element probe kit for the Cygnus 2+ Hands Free ultrasonic thickness tester includes items listed in basic kit, plus:
Ultrasonic probe, moulded probe cable, 15 mm steel test block, spare membranes, membrane key and membrane couplant.
Twin element probe kit for the Cygnus 2+ Hands Free ultrasonic thickness tester includes items listed in basic kit, plus:
Ultrasonic probe and moulded probe cable.
To compliment Cygnus’ range of ultrasonic thickness testers we offer a range of portable UTM probes. The performance of any ultrasonic thickness tester relies heavily on the probe and its suitability to the material being tested. Therefore, selecting the right probe is vital.
All Cygnus’ portable UTM probes are made from stainless steel and have a hard wear face or a wear membrane to protect the probe.
Variety of Cygnus INOX Probes
- Stainless steel Single Crystal probes: Uses multiple-echo mode, includes replaceable membranes for long life, require no zeroing and have a high linear accuracy.
- Stainless steel Twin Crystal probes: Uses echo-echo and single-echo modes and have improved measurability on extreme back wall corrosion and pitting.
- Probes for use with the Cygnus 2+, 4, 4+ and 6+ testers are fitted with a BNC or Lemo 00 connector.
Single Crystal Probes
Twin Crystal Probes
How to Perform a 2-Point Calibration on a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
How to Calibrated a Cygnus 2+ Hands Free Ultrasonic Thickness Tester