Cygnus 4+ General Purpose
Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Key features of the Cygnus 4+ General Purpose ultrasonic thickness tester include:
- Multiple-Echo for accurate through-coat measurements, as specified by Classification Societies
- Echo-Echo and Single-Echo modes for heavily corroded metals with a thin or no coating
- Measurements can be taken on hot surfaces, up to 300°C, using the NEW Cygnus High Temperature Probe
- Deep Coat function ignores coatings up to 20 mm thick
- MSI™ helps verify stable and reliable measurements
- Manual and automatic gain control
- Min/max measurement limit functions with visual and vibrate alert
- Large front sunlight readable LCD display with live A-scan
- Water and dust tight IP67 housing
- Shock and impact proof to US MIL STD 810G
- Safe operation in explosive atmospheres: Class 1, Division 2, Group D locations only, as defined in NFPA 70, Article 500
- One and two point calibration
- Can be upgraded to 6+ at an additional cost.
High Temperature Measurements
- Using the NEW High Temperature Probe, measurements can be taken on hot surfaces of up to 300°C
- No cooling period required – reducing inspection time and facilitating more effective measurement
- Option to use standard cable or more robust, braided cable.
Basic Data Logging
- Linear based data logging
- Eight user-defined comments to attach to any measurement point
- Auto-log feature
- Saves measurements and A-scans
- Records stored on SD card
- CygLink software used to transfer and manage data.
Three Versatile Measuring Modes
- Multiple-Echo mode uses three error checked back wall echoes to provide the most reliable and accurate remaining thickness measurements, with no need to remove coatings (up to 20 mm thick).
- Single-Echo mode is ideal for measuring uncoated metals with heavy front and/or back-wall corrosion. Also effective on a range of cast metals, plastics and composites.
- Echo-Echo mode works best for measuring heavily corroded metals through thin coatings of up to 1 mm thick, ideal for measuring painted metals with heavy back wall corrosion.
CygLink is a Windows® based application used to transfer and manage data logger records, A-scans, measurement comments and material velocity tables. The program can generate PDF reports and export to Excel. It also displays A‑scans, allowing for after-the-event analysis of logged measurements.
MSI™ (Measurement Stability Indicator)
Exclusive to Cygnus, MSI™ ensures stable and therefore, reliable measurements are displayed in Echo‑Echo and Single-Echo modes.
Multiple-Echo Mode Ignoring Coatings up to 20 mm Thick
Measuring Heavily Corroded Metals
Echo-Echo Mode Ignoring Coatings up to 1 mm Thick
Impact Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Water Resistance Dunk Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Water Resistance Hose Test of a Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Tester
Large Bright LCD Display on Cygnus 4, 4+ and 6+ Ultrasonic Thickness Testers
Large LCD Display and Simple Menu Operation on Cygnus Ultrasonic Thickness Testers
Measuring Uncoated Small Diameter Pipes
Measuring Small Diameter Pipes Through Coatings
A-Scan on Corrosion
|Multiple-Echo using 3 echoes to ignore coatings up to 20 mm thick
Echo-Echo using 2 echoes to ignore coatings up to 1 mm thick
Single-Echo using 1 echo
|Velocities from 1,000 – 9,000 m/s
|±0.05 mm in Multiple-Echo measurement mode, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
±0.1 mm or 0.1% of thickness measurement whichever is the greatest – in Single-Echo & Echo-Echo measurement modes, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
|Multiple-Echo mode – 0.1 mm or 0.05 mm
Single-Echo and Echo-Echo modes – 0.1 mm or 0.01 mm
|Single Crystal Probes
Twin Crystal Probes
High Temperature Probe
|Measurement Range in Steel
|0.8 – 250 mm depending on selected probe and configuration, material and temperature
|2 x Lemo 00
|3 x AA / R6 batteries
|Approx. 10 hours continuous measurement
|Dual channel pulser
|2.4 inch QVGA LCD: 47 x 37 mm
|84 x 130 x 35 mm
|300 g (inc. batteries)
|-10°C to 50°C
|5,000 measurements and A-scans per record. Max number records: 100 (soft limit)
|CygLink allows remote logging and viewing of A-scan graphs
Survey and report generation to PDF file
Graphic analysis of data and statistical calculations
Safe operation in Explosive Atmospheres: Class I, Division 2, Group D Locations only, as defined in the National Fire Protection Association Code (NFPA 70), Article 500. Tested using MIL-STD-810G, Method 511.5, Procedure I
MIL STD 810G Method 501.6 (high temp +55°C (131°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 502.6 (low temp -20°C (-4°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 507.6 (humidity 95%)
MIL STD 810G Method 512.6 (immersion 1 metre for 30 mins)
|Shock and Impact
|MIL STD 810G Method 514.7 (vibration)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (shock 20g)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (transit drop 1.22 m)
|Designed for EN 15317
|CE, UKCA, RoHS
|3 years on tester
6 months on probe
Basic kit for the Cygnus 4+ General Purpose ultrasonic thickness tester includes:
Instrument body, operating manual, neck strap and accessory pouch that contains 3 x AA batteries and blue couplant gel.
Single element probe kit for the Cygnus 4+ General Purpose ultrasonic thickness tester includes items listed in basic kit, plus:
Ultrasonic probe, moulded probe cable, 15 mm steel test block, spare membranes, membrane key and membrane couplant.
Twin element probe kit for the Cygnus 4+ General Purpose ultrasonic thickness tester includes items listed in basic kit, plus:
Ultrasonic probe and moulded probe cable.
Cygnus 4+ General Purpose Standard Kit WITHOUT PROBE (050-4500/5), Cygnus 4+ General Purpose High Temperature Kit with Probe T5B-MAUH 5MHz Twin Element & Twin Lemo 00 to Microdot Lead (050-4502/5)
To compliment Cygnus’ range of ultrasonic thickness testers we offer a range of portable UTM probes. The performance of any ultrasonic thickness tester relies heavily on the probe and its suitability to the material being tested. Therefore, selecting the right probe is vital.
All Cygnus’ portable UTM probes are made from stainless steel and have a hard wear face or a wear membrane to protect the probe.
Variety of Cygnus INOX Probes
- Stainless steel Single Crystal probes: Uses multiple-echo mode, includes replaceable membranes for long life, require no zeroing and have a high linear accuracy.
- Stainless steel Twin Crystal probes: Uses echo-echo and single-echo modes and have improved measurability on extreme back wall corrosion and pitting.
- Probes for use with the Cygnus 2+, 4, 4+ and 6+ testers are fitted with a BNC or Lemo 00 connector.
Single Crystal Probes
Twin Crystal Probes
High Temperature Probe
Twin element ultrasonic probe designed for high-temperature, in-service thickness measurements and corrosion surveys across oil and gas, refining, energy and process sectors.
- No cooling period required – reducing inspection time and facilitating effective measurement
- For use on hot surfaces up to 300°C
- Measures remaining wall thickness from 1.5 to 250 mm – depending on temperature and material.
Simple Menu Operation
How to Add Data Logging Comments
How to Set Limit Alerts